University of Delaware鈥檚 STAR Campus has grown into a center of innovation blending cutting-edge research, academics and thriving businesses in one location. This flexible, 7-story building is intentionally designed to encourage a collaborative research environment.
Headquarters for The National Institute for Innovation in Manufacturing Biopharmaceuticals (a public-private partnership dedicated to accelerating biopharmaceutical innovation), this facility also serves as home to the UD鈥檚 Department of Biomedical Engineering and the Delaware Biotechnology Institute.
Total Personnel Hours
Start: May 2018
Completion: July 2020
Labs, Offices, Classrooms & Common Areas
Scope of Work:
- BIM Modeling & Design Assist
- Electrical Infrastructure
- Power Distribution
- Building Automation Systems
- Site Lighting
- Data & Telecommunications
- Fire Alarm
- Snow Melt & Heat Trace
Some Equipment Installed:
- Vertical Bus Duct Riser
- (2) 400A Horizontal Bus Duct
- Dual 15kv Primary Distribution System
- (2) 2500kva Pad-mount Transformers
- (2) 4000A/480v Secondary Service
- CUP Power & Emergency Backup
- (6) 400kw Natural Gas Generators
- (2) Redundant 150kva UPS Systems
- (1) 120kva UPS System
- (1) 80kva UPS System
- (72) Pre-manufactured rooftop CUP splits were interconnected once set in place by cranes.
- HVAC - 591 Phoenix Air Valves
- UL-864 Smoke Control System & Fireman鈥檚 Smoke Control Panel
- Chilled & Hot Water Systems
- CUP - Steam Plant
- Lutron Lighting Systems
- Toxic Gas Monitoring
- CRAC Units
- Custom PLC Based Toxic Gas Monitoring System
- Data Center and Twelve (12) Telecom Rooms
- Emergency Phones
- 210 Wireless Access Points
Office/Education wing includes energy saving, state-of-the-art lighting controls coupled with receptacle plug load controls that shut down power to unattended devices.听 Tight mechanical & interstitial spaces in the laboratory wing were solved using BIM Modeling to design an electrical riser system compact enough maximize fit.
A Vertical Bus Duct Riser distributes power to electrical closets located on each floor. From there, power is sent via (2) 400Amp Horizontal Bus Ducts to the east and west wings.听 Schneider Electric鈥檚 EcoStruxure Building Automation System controls tens of thousands of HVAC, CUP and site lighting points.